ACPE Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The ACPE Board of Directors adopted a document developed by the ACPE Continuing Pharmacy Education Commission entitled, “ACPE Guidance to ACPE-accredited CE Providers to Incorporate Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in CE Activities”. This document may be found on the ACPE website by clicking here. Providers are encouraged to send examples of how they incorporated principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion in their CE activities. Submitted examples will be posted to ACPE’s website with the goal of sharing practices with ACPE accredited providers. Please send a description and/or tool to firstname.lastname@example.org .
In the beginning of the year a survey was sent to all ACPE-accredited CE providers to gain insights into the extent of DEI focus and initiative in continuing education activities. To date, we have received a 17% response rate. The results are:
- Four (4) questions regarding the incorporation of DEI in CPE programs were asked.
- 48 (Forty-eight) programs responded out of 271 (17% response rate).
- Steps the majority of programs have taken to advance DEI include:
- 44% of responses engaged pharmacists and/or pharmacy technicians in DEI discussion
- 31% have added guidance on DEI to those conducting CPE activities
- 31% provided additional steps taken
- 50% have a statement either published or in progress
1.Has your program identified any best practices to advance DEI it would like to share?
- Ensured DEI training in planning committees and employees
- Included DEI in Joint Providership communications
- Contained balanced programming
- Examined healthcare disparities and implicit bias
- Currently working on creating best practices internally
- Ensured DEI is examined within the company
2.What are your program’s goals for DEI?
- Promote the importance of DEI and health disparities in society to pharmacists
Increase DEI-related CE activities
- Create and/or use a DEI task force in activity creation
- Provide training and/or guidance to faculty, joint providers and staff
- Conduct a DEI focused needs assessments
- Examine feedback from learners regarding DEI in the activities
- Add DEI to guidelines
- Program goals are in development
To submit your feedback on DEI in Continuing Pharmacy Education please take our brief survey .
From Our Providers
American Society of health-System Pharmacists (ASHP)
PLAN Tool: Diversity specific courses
Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME)
Association of American Medical Colleges
Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)
Coalition on Adult Basic Education (COABE)
The University of Rhode Island