Founded as the American Council on Pharmaceutical Education (ACPE) in 1932, the agency’s name was changed to the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education in 2003. ACPE initially established standards for the baccalaureate degree in pharmacy and then added the doctor of pharmacy standards as an alternative. In 2000, ACPE announced the conversion to the doctor of pharmacy (PharmD) as the sole entry-level degree for the profession of pharmacy. In 1975, ACPE developed standards for the approval (now, accreditation) of providers of continuing pharmacy education and in 1999, developed additional standards for the CE providers who were conducting certificate programs in pharmacy.
ACPE’s International Services Program (ISP) was established in February 2011. The program was created to strengthen ACPE’s ability to assist international stakeholders who seek guidance related to quality assurance and advancement of pharmacy education.
ACPE has been recognized continually by the US Department of Education since the inception of its accreditation agency recognition program in 1952 and was recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation in April 2004.
A PDF of the historic listing of members of the ACPE Board of Directors and executive staff is found below.